To our Valued Service Members and Families:
PCS Delayed? We can help! Whether you are extending your move out date, or need an interim place to call home, Hunt Military Communities is here to assist. Please reach out to via phone, email or the contact us form and we will do all we can!

As we navigate COVID-19 together, we want to be sure we continue to be transparent in our communication and keep you updated on our plans. On Monday, March 16th a letter went out to all of our residents outlining the steps we are taking to ensure the health and well-being of our residents, employees, clients, and community. Click Here for recent resident communications.


Click on a question to view the answer.

    Basic Allowance for Housing

  • How does military housing privatization affect a service member’s Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)?

    • Privatization does not affect the amount of BAH that is paid to the service member. Prior to privatization, service members did not receive BAH if they lived in military housing. Under the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, all service members choosing to live in privatized military housing receive their BAH and use the BAH to pay the privatized housing provider. The rent payment (usually equal to BAH) will be automatically transferred to Barksdale Family Housing at the end of each month; this process will be performed and monitored by Military Assistance Company, LLC (MAC), the world's largest processor of automatic payroll deductions for military and civil service employees. The BAH is used by the company to maintain and operate the existing housing, as well as to fund the construction of the new houses and amenities.

  • How is an individual’s BAH entitlement and rent allotment determined?

    • The government determines the service member's BAH based on the cost of similar rental property near the base, typical utilities, and his/her rank. An allotment from the service member's account is set up upon lease signing to pay rent.

  • Who is going to process the Service Member’s allotment?

    • Military Assistance Company, LLC (MAC), the world's largest processor of automatic payroll deductions for military, processes military personnel allotments. MAC systems assure payment directly from the Service Member's pay. When the BAH rates are adjusted annually, MAC will automatically update the allotment amounts; it will be a seamless for Service Members. 

  • Will BAH be counted as income? Specifically, will it affect the cost of children’s day care?

    • BAH is an entitlement and is not counted as taxable income. However, it will be included in gross income and programs based on an individual's gross income may be affected.

  • Will BAH affect the Service Member’s LES and net pay?

    • No. At the end of each month, the service member's Leave and Earning Statement (LES) will show that BAH has been transferred via an allotment equal to the monthly rent. There should be no changes to the Service Member's net pay.

  • How will rent be paid and what does it cover?

    • Your rent will be automatically paid for you through a third party BAH processor that will work with the DoD Defense Finance Office. Each month you will see the transaction on your Leave and Earnings Statement (LES). The BAH at the with-dependent rate is paid as rent. BAH includes an allowance for rent and utilities.

  • Is rent based on the size of the home or BAH?

    • Rent is based on BAH, which in turn is based on rank, not on the size of the home.

  • How does BAH work for families where both spouses are Service Members?

    • Both Service Members will receive BAH. The senior member will receive it at the with-dependent rate, while the junior member will receive it at the without-dependent rate. Under current Department of Defense rules, only the senior member's BAH at the with-dependent rate will be used to calculate the rent amount, so the family can keep the BAH of the junior member.

  • Since foreign students don’t receive BAH and cannot utilize paying by allotment, how will they pay rent?

    • Foreign students will pay rent monthly to Hunt Companies LLC by certified funds.

  • Lease Signing

  • What kind of lease does Barkside Family Housing use?

    • The lease is a standard resident agreement used by all privatized military housing and conventional (civilian) rental properties. Residents are required to sign a lease in order to reside in housing. The lease specifies the rights and responsibilities of resident and Owner The lease also sets the service member's BAH as the rent payment.

  • What happens if I earn a promotion during the lease period?

    • In the event of a promotion, the Service Member may request a move to a base house commensurate with his or her new rank. The member’s rent will be increased to match the increased BAH. The move would be voluntary and at the member's expense, and is subject to housing availability.

  • What happens if I’m demoted during the lease period?

    • In the event of a demotion, the Service Member will pay the decreased BAH amount for rent, but must notify the management office in writing.

  • Our Services

  • Who will be performing maintenance service requests for the privatized housing, and will I be charged?

    • Our fully bonded maintenance staff will be resolving all service requests for residents. Hunt Companies provides a 24-hour a day service line where you’ll talk to a real person to provide the details of your request. We will even take care of your request if you cannot take time off from your busy schedule to be in your home. Residents will never be charged for the service performed.

  • How do I contact Maintenance if I have a maintenance service request?

    • You can submit a request online or contact our 24-hour a day service line at 318-747-2756.

  • Who will be providing security to my neighborhood?

    • The perimeter of the base will remain under military control, including all gate access points. The security procedures in place today will remain in effect. The Police and Fire services will remain the responsibility of the Installation and is paid for by the project

  • Will garbage be picked up?

    • Yes. Barksdale Family Housing will be responsible for trash pickup and recycling at no additional cost to the resident.

  • Do I need to mow my own lawn?

    • Landscape maintenance will be provided in the family housing common areas and in the yards of all residences, excluding fenced-in areas. The lawn inside the fence area and your flowerbeds are your responsibility and should be kept neat in appearance. Should Resident fail to maintain the fenced in area, a yard violation notice will be sent to the Resident. If the violation is not corrected within the timeframe indicated on the violation notice, BARKSDALE FAMILY HOUSING will correct the violation and the Resident will be charged for any lawn maintenance services performed in these areas to restore the yard to proper appealing conditions. Fencing will be removed in the event that lawn maintenance is not performed to required standards. Landscape maintenance services, including mowing, edging and leaf removal, will be provided by Barksdale Family Housing on a designated schedule.

  • Privatization

  • What is the Air Force Privatization Program?

    • The Air Force Privatization Program is a government initiative which allows private sector developers to leverage appropriated construction funds and government owned property to own, operate, maintain, improve, and assume responsibility for military family housing. 

  • How does privatization affect the service that military members receive?

    • Hunt Companies draws upon their private sector experience to provide first-rate services and amenities to our military families. We pride ourselves in our commitment to customer services and Barksdale Family Housing promises to deliver a product that meets or exceeds the standards in the surrounding community.

  • Will military members still have the option to live off-site?

    • Yes, military members still have the option use their BAH to rent a house or apartment off base.

  • What is the satellite policy for new homes? Existing homes?

    • Satellites on existing homes, erected prior to the transition to privatized housing, will be grandfathered. Satellites on other existing homes and new homes are not allowed without prior written approval from management. Satellites must be on a freestanding pole, no satellites are permitted to be attached to a home.

  • What is the shed policy for new homes? Existing homes?

    • Existing sheds are grandfathered. Sheds for new homes are not allowed without prior written approval from the management office.

  • Are civilians who live on base a threat to security?

    • Civilians are at the bottom of a long list of those who may live in on-base housing if it is not currently occupied by Service Members. Civilians who reside in housing will first have to go through an extensive security check and any guests must be escorted from the gate.

  • Resident Guidelines

  • What changes have occurred in housing rules?

    • Updated resident guidelines are located here. Please review the guidelines and contact us at 318-747-2723 with any questions.

  • What is the pet policy?

    • There is a $100 per pet; pet fee. This is not a deposit nor can it be used towards damages at move out. Residents will be limited to two pets (dog, cat, bird, or fish aquarium). Pets that weigh more than 100 pounds will not be accepted and certain breeds of dogs are not allowed, including Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Doberman Pinschers. Please refer to the Resident Guidelines and your lease for additional information.

  • What are the requirements for vacating a home?

    • A completed notice to vacate package is required 30 days prior to your lease expiration date and should be given at your management office as soon as you are aware of your moving arrangements.

  • What will it cost me to move in?

    • On move-in day, Active Duty will pay nothing except a pet fee if applicable. Depending on the DFAS/MAC cut off you will pay on the first of the following move-in month via check/money order/allotment. For example: if you move in on 4 September 2015 we will pull September’s prorated rent via allotment on 30 September. If you move in on 25 September you will need to pay us via check/money order by 1 October and your allotment will begin to pull on 15 October. 15 October and 31 October will pay for the month of October. This will continue for the duration of your stay with us.

Fatal error: Call to a member function getRoot() on a non-object in C:\inetpub\docroot\hunt_hmc_gateway\html-pages.php on line 116